Before I was 18 I could not wait to vote. I believe I have voted in every election possible since then (even many years ago when I was in hospital). I love voting. I love knowing what is going on with candidates. I love the feeling of having an impact on the world around me. I also think of those around the world who do not have the same opportunities to vote.
I am safe when I go to vote. I have freedom to vote for whom I choose. I have access to information on candidates. I matter just as much as any other voter. Unfortunately not everyone in Canada feels the same way. I wish more people did. Younger voters are the ones least likely to turn out to vote according to the media. That saddens me. How did a free society get to the point where a whole segment of the population feels so disconnected?
Who will make the future or politics if those younger do not get involved? What will happen in future elections if fewer people vote? And what does this say to those in the world who do not have the freedoms we do? People are dying, literally, in countries because they are not allowed to vote.
So I will do whatever I can to engage younger voters. Imagine what would happen if they did?!
I am safe when I go to vote. I have freedom to vote for whom I choose. I have access to information on candidates. I matter just as much as any other voter. Unfortunately not everyone in Canada feels the same way. I wish more people did. Younger voters are the ones least likely to turn out to vote according to the media. That saddens me. How did a free society get to the point where a whole segment of the population feels so disconnected?
Who will make the future or politics if those younger do not get involved? What will happen in future elections if fewer people vote? And what does this say to those in the world who do not have the freedoms we do? People are dying, literally, in countries because they are not allowed to vote.
So I will do whatever I can to engage younger voters. Imagine what would happen if they did?!
I'm proud to say I have voted in every election since I was became "of age!" I love the feeling of having my voice heard, and I'm a firm believer of the saying, "If you don't vote, don't complain!"
ReplyDelete