Skip to main content

Happiness is...

I have been thinking a lot about the word 'happy' lately.  The dictionary definition is: feeling or showing pleasure or contentment :(happy about) having a sense of confidence in or satisfaction with (a person, arrangement, or situation): ( happy with) satisfied with the quality or standard of.  (That is according to the dictionary on my MacBook.)


I have been thinking a lot about happiness lately because I have a lot of friends who are not overly happy at the moment.  Life is hard.  They are battling a lot of obstacles.  They face many great challenges.  My life has not always been easy and smooth.  I was trying to think of my own happy memories the other day.  I realised I focus on the not-so-happy memories more than the happy ones.


Why do we have this obsession with being happy?  Are we really supposed to be happy all the time?  What if we are not?  I do not think happiness is the goal in life.  Contentment is.  I think the phenomena of happiness is a Western cultural one.  


When I lived in Ireland, I met many Nigerians who fled their country as their only hope of surviving.  They moved to Ireland where they were not allowed to work for their first year.  They lived on assistance.  They became disliked by some locals.  And yet they were content.  They had lost loved ones in fighting.  The pastor of the church fled the country one night with 2 of his 3 children and his wife.  His third child was home sick with grandma.  They were killed.  The pastor and his family could not say good bye.  They could not bury their beloved child and mother.  They had to flee or they would be next.  And yet he thought I was amazing because I left Canada to work in inner city Dublin.  I told him it was the other way around.  He had joy.  He had peace.  He had hope.


I have been blessed with much in life.  My Nigerian friend had not.  And yet he had greater joy than I did.  He had greater contentment.  'Stuff' can be a great obstacle to enjoying life.  When we have it we focus on it.  We want to make it fulfill us.  Then we want more.  We want better.  We want bigger.  Maybe the 'more' we should be wanting has nothing to do with us.  I want more for my neighbours.  I want more peace in my neighbourhood.  I want more equality for those around me.  I want more justice (not punishment or retribution) in the world around me.


This post feels a bit disjointed as I re-read it.  I am not against happiness.  I just don't think we should judge the quality of our life by how much of it we have.  When I stop focusing on things that do not bring joy, peace, contentment and happiness, I am free to look around me and focus on things I can truly impact.  I believe then, I will have the peace, contentment, joy and yes, maybe even some happiness.  I will keep you posted...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety

I should be doing homework. I have to give a presentation on Dorothy Day in class next week and she lived a large life. I also have to submit a 15-18 page paper on her. Yet I had to stop after reading just a summary of her life. She did a lot. She lived what she believed without fear. She went to prison on a few occasions for the causes she believed in. It got me thinking about my own life and where I am currently. I do not go out often anymore. People do not invite me out much. Only a few people text or call me regularly or message me on social media. Often when I have made plans over the past year or so I have changed or cancelled them for one reason or another. I can see why people do not automatically think to invite me out. (Ha ha.) Yet I also see how I got to this point in life. During Covid, I almost thrived being home a lot. A part of me was tired and the introvert in me needed time away. It was safe. Now that life has returned to a normal of sorts, maybe a new normal that is n...

Hmm...how's this for an intro?

Well here is my first blog post. I thought the title 'B S' is great considering those are my initials. No hidden meaning there either. I have no idea how often I will post on here but I hope those who read it enjoy. My life is certainly never dull. The potential for great conversation is immense. I also hope to inspire and encourage others through this... Thanks for joining me!

Pick your battles...

Apparently I have chosen yet another battle. Although can it be a battle if the other side simply dismisses you? Maybe not. I saw PETA's banned Super Bowl ad purely by chance. I was on a web site showing all the ads as I did not watch the game. When it first came on I thought it was a Victoria's Secret commercial. Then I see vegetables in the ad. It was PETA. So I sent an email. Scantily clad women performing mock sex acts with produce is not my idea of intelligent advertising. It lowers the bar. It is exploiting women. I sent them an email expressing that opinion. They disagree. It seems it is ok to demean women (at least this is my opinion) for the sake of animals. Yet I do not see that ad generating more support for the cause of animal rights. Is it controversial? Yes. Does it get people talking? Clearly. Yet it does not get people talking intelligently about the real issue - that of preventing cruelty to animals. Why don't they raise the bar in advert...