Skip to main content

What is so social about media?

I should be sleeping.  I have had a nasty cold for a few days and I have a long day of work tomorrow.  Yet there are thoughts bouncing around my head I feel I need to write down before I will rest.

The past year and a half of my life have been quite the roller coaster at times.  It is not easy for me to admit when things are difficult.  It is even harder for me to ask for help.  So I am not great at asking.  I often fumble when I reach out to friends or family.  Usually it seems easiest to not ask for help.

I think that has become even easier these days with 'social media'.  I am on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Linkedin and have this blog.  Some days I can barely keep up with it all.  I have a full time job that requires a lot of mental and emotional energy.  For the introvert in me, that takes almost all the energy I have.  I love having a quiet night in to refresh and recharge.  Yet that is happening less and less.

As I try to manage life on this roller coaster and allow myself to think I have some sort of obligation to 'check in' on social media, I find I am more tired.  I know, no one is forcing me to participate in these places.  It is my own choice.  I do enjoy keeping up with friends and family I do not see often because they live in a different province or country.  I absolutely LOVE seeing photos of my friends' children!!!  I am blessed to have lots of little people in my life.  I miss them when I do not see them for a while and Facebook is sometimes a great way to keep up with their new adventures as they grow.  I love seeing parents who love their children, husbands who love their wives, wives who love their husbands, people who love changing the world around them, and those who celebrate amazing personal success - whether it be an exciting new job, finishing a degree, travelling somewhere exciting, or running a half marathon.

What I find hard is when communication is misunderstood.  People matter to me.  People matter a lot to me.  I care very much about the people in my life.  I care a lot about what they are going through, how they are doing, and what they think about things.  I also have my own opinions.  I am on a journey that is not always easy.  Sometimes I share an opinion or experience that is hard and face judgement.  That is difficult for me because it is not so easy to rectify as often those disagreeing with me are not able to sit and have an in-person conversation with me.  I would much prefer to sit down with someone over a cup of tea and discuss deeper issues.  When I share thoughts in public, it is more just a thought.  It is my own.  I am not speaking as the ultimate authority.  I am just speaking as me.  I appreciate discussion.  I value the thoughts of those around me, even if they are very different.  Sometimes I think it is those who differ in opinion with me that are even more vital to have in my life.

Yet how do I cultivate more of those in-person relationships?  If I can not, because of time or distance, how then can I use social media to nurture them in the mean time?

Comments

  1. For me, I think of all forms of communication (social media in its various forms, texting, phoning, face-to-face etc.) as tools. And you need the right tool for the right job. (No need to kill a fly with a hammer and all that.) What I'm saying is that if deeper issues get misunderstood in social media, maybe it's not the right tool for the job. Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Safety

I should be doing homework. I have to give a presentation on Dorothy Day in class next week and she lived a large life. I also have to submit a 15-18 page paper on her. Yet I had to stop after reading just a summary of her life. She did a lot. She lived what she believed without fear. She went to prison on a few occasions for the causes she believed in. It got me thinking about my own life and where I am currently. I do not go out often anymore. People do not invite me out much. Only a few people text or call me regularly or message me on social media. Often when I have made plans over the past year or so I have changed or cancelled them for one reason or another. I can see why people do not automatically think to invite me out. (Ha ha.) Yet I also see how I got to this point in life. During Covid, I almost thrived being home a lot. A part of me was tired and the introvert in me needed time away. It was safe. Now that life has returned to a normal of sorts, maybe a new normal that is n...

Hmm...how's this for an intro?

Well here is my first blog post. I thought the title 'B S' is great considering those are my initials. No hidden meaning there either. I have no idea how often I will post on here but I hope those who read it enjoy. My life is certainly never dull. The potential for great conversation is immense. I also hope to inspire and encourage others through this... Thanks for joining me!

Pick your battles...

Apparently I have chosen yet another battle. Although can it be a battle if the other side simply dismisses you? Maybe not. I saw PETA's banned Super Bowl ad purely by chance. I was on a web site showing all the ads as I did not watch the game. When it first came on I thought it was a Victoria's Secret commercial. Then I see vegetables in the ad. It was PETA. So I sent an email. Scantily clad women performing mock sex acts with produce is not my idea of intelligent advertising. It lowers the bar. It is exploiting women. I sent them an email expressing that opinion. They disagree. It seems it is ok to demean women (at least this is my opinion) for the sake of animals. Yet I do not see that ad generating more support for the cause of animal rights. Is it controversial? Yes. Does it get people talking? Clearly. Yet it does not get people talking intelligently about the real issue - that of preventing cruelty to animals. Why don't they raise the bar in advert...