Skip to main content

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

Lately I have been tired. Tired of fake. Tired of artificial. Tired of disappointments. Tired of being let down. Tired of waiting for a bit of 'easy'. Tired. I have been giving a lot to a lot of people for a long time and was worried I had given too much. Had I hit a wall? Was I no longer able to have compassion or care about others?

Then I worried the problem was me. Was I too selfish? Was I too lazy? Did I have wrong expectations? Was I lacking? Was I artificial? Had I let too many people down? Had I disappointed people I care about?

I started to look at my life and 'dig deep' - even though I dislike that expression. What sort of friend have I been? What sort of community member have I been? Have I been as thoughtful as I want to be? Have I reached out to others as I want? Was I reaping what I was sowing? If so, what had I been sowing?

Then I read this blog post a friend shared today (the author is not a friend of mine but it spoke a bit to what I had been thinking) "Why It Doesn't Matter How You Feel About Your Friends". (Also, excuse the ad that pops up when you open it.)

This year I wrapped up some of my major volunteer roles. There were a few reasons for this. One being my work is about to get very busy and unpredictable and I would hate to leave others having to pick up my slack. Another is I want to focus more on "Hope Grows", my outreach to women in the sex trade in the West End.

I also wanted to be more focused with my energy. I want to be more intentional with my time, my talents (being as limited as they are), my energy, and my money (also being as limited as it is). I want to be more present when I am with people. I want to be more mindful. I want to be more thoughtful. I want to do things that are meaningful for people. I want my actions to be impactful.

I want to be a better friend. I want to invest more in the lives of my friends' children. I want deeper relationships with my family.

I believe it is OK for us to all step back for a bit at times. If we truly want to change the world for the better, and I also believe every person is capable of doing this in some unique way, then we need to know exactly what we want to change and how we want to help bring about that change. That does not happen if we do not take time to focus and create a plan. Reading it that way makes it sounds more logical than emotional. That is not my intent as it is a bit of both.

We matter. We matter because we are. We do not have greater value when we do more or have more or say more. We have value simply because we exist. What makes what we do impactful is who we are. Knowing ourselves well will help us serve others in a more meaningful way.

So I am now using this little break from major volunteering to discover who I am, what I want to do, and how I want to go about doing it. I want my actions to speak louder than my words.

Comments

  1. I am so glad you're taking a break for YOU. Belinda, you do so much for others. This is so deserved. You're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your very kind words!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Safety

I should be doing homework. I have to give a presentation on Dorothy Day in class next week and she lived a large life. I also have to submit a 15-18 page paper on her. Yet I had to stop after reading just a summary of her life. She did a lot. She lived what she believed without fear. She went to prison on a few occasions for the causes she believed in. It got me thinking about my own life and where I am currently. I do not go out often anymore. People do not invite me out much. Only a few people text or call me regularly or message me on social media. Often when I have made plans over the past year or so I have changed or cancelled them for one reason or another. I can see why people do not automatically think to invite me out. (Ha ha.) Yet I also see how I got to this point in life. During Covid, I almost thrived being home a lot. A part of me was tired and the introvert in me needed time away. It was safe. Now that life has returned to a normal of sorts, maybe a new normal that is n...

Hmm...how's this for an intro?

Well here is my first blog post. I thought the title 'B S' is great considering those are my initials. No hidden meaning there either. I have no idea how often I will post on here but I hope those who read it enjoy. My life is certainly never dull. The potential for great conversation is immense. I also hope to inspire and encourage others through this... Thanks for joining me!

Pick your battles...

Apparently I have chosen yet another battle. Although can it be a battle if the other side simply dismisses you? Maybe not. I saw PETA's banned Super Bowl ad purely by chance. I was on a web site showing all the ads as I did not watch the game. When it first came on I thought it was a Victoria's Secret commercial. Then I see vegetables in the ad. It was PETA. So I sent an email. Scantily clad women performing mock sex acts with produce is not my idea of intelligent advertising. It lowers the bar. It is exploiting women. I sent them an email expressing that opinion. They disagree. It seems it is ok to demean women (at least this is my opinion) for the sake of animals. Yet I do not see that ad generating more support for the cause of animal rights. Is it controversial? Yes. Does it get people talking? Clearly. Yet it does not get people talking intelligently about the real issue - that of preventing cruelty to animals. Why don't they raise the bar in advert...