Skip to main content

Breathe

Over the past few weeks I have been in a position I have not been in for over a decade. I will also, most likely, never be here again. I had extra money. After years of back and forth with the Canada Revenue Agency, I finally received my Disability Tax Credit. For me, it was a lot of money. It also represented a decade of my life when I was unable to work fully as my health had me in and out of the hospital a lot.

This money allowed me to do a few things around my house I would have had to wait years to do otherwise. As I started making decisions about my house, I realised I was enjoying it more. I looked forward to coming home. I found myself planning and seeing a future here. That is new to me. After years spent in and out of hospital and being unable to make plans beyond a few days, I forgot how to plan and dream. I think I may have started to find my way back to that this month.

I will admit, I put a lot of stress on myself to spend the money wisely and in the best ways. I am still a bit stressed about some of the things I decided to do. However, I am learning to stop, focus, and breathe. I am also learning to relax. This should not be so difficult. Yet it can be, for me.

I put tremendous pressure on myself to do things right, well, perfect. Sometimes it becomes so much stress I do nothing instead. I have learned to stop doing this and instead, give myself permission to do nothing some days or accomplish a lot other days.

When I stop to take a few deep breaths, and yes, I mean that literally, I find a new perspective. I find some calm. I find my spirit stills a bit and I can think. I can also hope and dream.

Being able to stop and breathe is something I hope I never take for granted again. If you are finding life to be overwhelming, may I suggest taking some time to stop, breathe, and rest a while. You matter more than a to-do list. You matter more than the expectations others may have of you. You matter most.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to go water the plants I bought to help brighten up the outside of my home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety

I should be doing homework. I have to give a presentation on Dorothy Day in class next week and she lived a large life. I also have to submit a 15-18 page paper on her. Yet I had to stop after reading just a summary of her life. She did a lot. She lived what she believed without fear. She went to prison on a few occasions for the causes she believed in. It got me thinking about my own life and where I am currently. I do not go out often anymore. People do not invite me out much. Only a few people text or call me regularly or message me on social media. Often when I have made plans over the past year or so I have changed or cancelled them for one reason or another. I can see why people do not automatically think to invite me out. (Ha ha.) Yet I also see how I got to this point in life. During Covid, I almost thrived being home a lot. A part of me was tired and the introvert in me needed time away. It was safe. Now that life has returned to a normal of sorts, maybe a new normal that is n...

Pick your battles...

Apparently I have chosen yet another battle. Although can it be a battle if the other side simply dismisses you? Maybe not. I saw PETA's banned Super Bowl ad purely by chance. I was on a web site showing all the ads as I did not watch the game. When it first came on I thought it was a Victoria's Secret commercial. Then I see vegetables in the ad. It was PETA. So I sent an email. Scantily clad women performing mock sex acts with produce is not my idea of intelligent advertising. It lowers the bar. It is exploiting women. I sent them an email expressing that opinion. They disagree. It seems it is ok to demean women (at least this is my opinion) for the sake of animals. Yet I do not see that ad generating more support for the cause of animal rights. Is it controversial? Yes. Does it get people talking? Clearly. Yet it does not get people talking intelligently about the real issue - that of preventing cruelty to animals. Why don't they raise the bar in advert...

Hmm...how's this for an intro?

Well here is my first blog post. I thought the title 'B S' is great considering those are my initials. No hidden meaning there either. I have no idea how often I will post on here but I hope those who read it enjoy. My life is certainly never dull. The potential for great conversation is immense. I also hope to inspire and encourage others through this... Thanks for joining me!