I have to admit I'm too distracted to watch the Olympics. Some of the stories about the games is not at all interesting to me. I just care about the athletes and who is doing what in the different sports.
However, the fact the games are in Vancouver means there is once again a spotlight on the sex trade in the downtown East Side. Watching it makes my heart ache for the women in the sex trade and the children they sometimes leave behind. I appreciated how the National presented the story of one young girl whose mother's DNA was found on Robert Pickton's farm. Imagine losing your mother like that!
What frustrates me greatly is the fact many people assume women are in the sex trade because they like sex. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have yet to meet a woman in the sex trade because she truly chooses to be there. It has reminded me of the vision I have to start an outreach here in the West End. It is an idea I have had since February 2006 when I woke up to a woman being attacked outside my building on Furby. I am fairly certain she was working before she was dragged in the small space between the two buildings.
It can be difficult to start something new. It can be especially difficult to start something new for those in society most often rejected or ignored. This does not mean, however, we do not try. I feel a renewal of the original vision starting. Spring is coming. It feels like spring is also coming for the part of my heart that longs to do more for those around me. I love my area. I love these women.
However, the fact the games are in Vancouver means there is once again a spotlight on the sex trade in the downtown East Side. Watching it makes my heart ache for the women in the sex trade and the children they sometimes leave behind. I appreciated how the National presented the story of one young girl whose mother's DNA was found on Robert Pickton's farm. Imagine losing your mother like that!
What frustrates me greatly is the fact many people assume women are in the sex trade because they like sex. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have yet to meet a woman in the sex trade because she truly chooses to be there. It has reminded me of the vision I have to start an outreach here in the West End. It is an idea I have had since February 2006 when I woke up to a woman being attacked outside my building on Furby. I am fairly certain she was working before she was dragged in the small space between the two buildings.
It can be difficult to start something new. It can be especially difficult to start something new for those in society most often rejected or ignored. This does not mean, however, we do not try. I feel a renewal of the original vision starting. Spring is coming. It feels like spring is also coming for the part of my heart that longs to do more for those around me. I love my area. I love these women.
Comments
Post a Comment