Skip to main content

Yet another birthday...

"I hate my birthday" is usually my first thought on December 4th. I absolutely love getting older but I hate the day itself. This year I was tired of simply resorting to that line of thought. I wanted to figure out where it is coming from. I want to enjoy my birthday.

I was thinking it may be similar to why I hate Valentine's Day. I think it is a silly thing really. Surely we don't need a date on the calendar to remember to tell others we love them. Shouldn't we be doing that all the time? I wonder if that is how I look at my birthday. I am blessed with many great people in my life. I have friends and family always telling me they love me, appreciate me, helping me, blessing me. Why should they do anything out of the ordinary on December 4th? Am I suddenly extra special today?

Then I wondered if that was more of a Western culture mindset. Do we love someone more if we spend more money on them? Spend more time with them? Laugh more at their jokes? What about people living in countries where they don't even know the specific date of their birth? How about families (in the developing world or right here in Canada) who are unable to provide a great celebration?

So I am choosing to look at this differently. I will not have any great expectation for the day - not because people don't care. Rather, I will not have unrealistic expectations that people will suddenly be expected to meet even if I never tell them...except next year. I will be turning 40 next year and I have to say I am SUPER excited about it! (No, I'm not kidding!)

I was also wondering what it was like when I was born. My birth mother was young and unwed. The decision had already been made to put me up for adoption. There was no way she was able to raise me. I imagine it was heartbreaking for her. Not exactly joyful when I arrived. Then I think about my mum. What was it like when she got a call saying CFS had a little girl? Was she excited? Nervous? What did she think when she saw the red hair? (I imagine her having second thoughts - kidding mumsy!) Did she feel joy?

I guess what I have come away with from this birthday is the beginnings of a new outlook. I have much to be thankful for even though this past year has been incredibly difficult in so many ways and does not seem to be improving in the near future. I am thankful for a home I love. I am thankful for good health. I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for my friends. I am thankful for a job. I am most thankful for a faith in a God who helps me make sense of it all, a God who extends much grace and wisdom.

Even though this was the quietest and most uneventful birthday weekend I've had in a long time, I think that quietness has allowed me to journey a little further to healing.

Comments

  1. Love you B. It's not about the things we have, but more sore the experiences we share and the people who share these moments in our lives...not just on one day, but throughout the year. I am blessed having you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm very grateful for you, and I'm glad that there's one day of the year that brings me to think about you just a little bit more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I not know you were adopted? Is it possible I love you any more? Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you friends! I am really challenging a lot of what I believed in a good way (I think). Why do I believe the things I do? Are they helpful? Or not? Anyway, those were my thoughts yesterday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are special Belinda. I am also looking forward to turning 40! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking 40 will be the best year yet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Safety

I should be doing homework. I have to give a presentation on Dorothy Day in class next week and she lived a large life. I also have to submit a 15-18 page paper on her. Yet I had to stop after reading just a summary of her life. She did a lot. She lived what she believed without fear. She went to prison on a few occasions for the causes she believed in. It got me thinking about my own life and where I am currently. I do not go out often anymore. People do not invite me out much. Only a few people text or call me regularly or message me on social media. Often when I have made plans over the past year or so I have changed or cancelled them for one reason or another. I can see why people do not automatically think to invite me out. (Ha ha.) Yet I also see how I got to this point in life. During Covid, I almost thrived being home a lot. A part of me was tired and the introvert in me needed time away. It was safe. Now that life has returned to a normal of sorts, maybe a new normal that is n...

Hmm...how's this for an intro?

Well here is my first blog post. I thought the title 'B S' is great considering those are my initials. No hidden meaning there either. I have no idea how often I will post on here but I hope those who read it enjoy. My life is certainly never dull. The potential for great conversation is immense. I also hope to inspire and encourage others through this... Thanks for joining me!

Pick your battles...

Apparently I have chosen yet another battle. Although can it be a battle if the other side simply dismisses you? Maybe not. I saw PETA's banned Super Bowl ad purely by chance. I was on a web site showing all the ads as I did not watch the game. When it first came on I thought it was a Victoria's Secret commercial. Then I see vegetables in the ad. It was PETA. So I sent an email. Scantily clad women performing mock sex acts with produce is not my idea of intelligent advertising. It lowers the bar. It is exploiting women. I sent them an email expressing that opinion. They disagree. It seems it is ok to demean women (at least this is my opinion) for the sake of animals. Yet I do not see that ad generating more support for the cause of animal rights. Is it controversial? Yes. Does it get people talking? Clearly. Yet it does not get people talking intelligently about the real issue - that of preventing cruelty to animals. Why don't they raise the bar in advert...