Skip to main content

Little People

I call children 'little people.'  Why?  Many years ago when I was working with inner city youth in Dublin, I had a co-worker who used that term.  I found it very fitting.  It is important for me to see children as people.  They are little and very impressionable.  Yet we need to remember they are still people, hence the term.

I recently turned 40.  I have never been so excited for a birthday!  I managed to stretch it over two weeks.  I am blessed with many amazing friends to celebrate with.  As I turned 40 I had thoughts of where my life is and where I might like to see it in the years to come.  Years ago I quit planning ahead. After 8 surgeries and literally countless trips to the hospital, I am no longer able to make definitive plans for my life.  I can plan my work.  I can plan my home.  I can plan out my week.  But I am unable to say where I would like to be in ten years.  (I have always hated that question in job interviews.)

Yet one thing I have come to realise I can say with almost complete certainty is that I will never have little people of my own.  I absolutely love them.  I adore them.  I cherish them.  I have many, many friends with children.  I am so incredibly blessed by that.  I love spending time with them.  I love that so many of my friends trust me with the care of their precious little ones.  They are so delicate and fragile, yet strong and courageous!  They are filled with awe and wonder.  They trust those around them.  I take that trust very seriously.

There was a time when I really wanted little ones of my own.  Many years ago though, I understood my life was to take a different path and I am ok with that.  Although, I never ask a woman a) if she will have children, b) if she will have more children or c) why she does not have children.  Ok, I did ask a friend this week if she wanted more children.  Not sure why.  But the answer I received as a result blessed my heart greatly.  A woman without children may have any variety of answers as to why she does not.  Maybe she does not want children.  Maybe she can not have children.  Maybe she has had children who did not live long enough to be born, held and loved.  Maybe she does not know yet if she wants children.  Being asked to give a reason for not having children though will either make a woman feel less than whole or be a painful reminder of what she can not have.

I have friends who tell me I may still have children.  Or I could adopt.  No problem!  (For the record, I am adopted and it has been one of the greatest blessings of my life.)  I could foster children.  Who knows what life will bring!  True.  Any of these things could happen.  Do not feel sorry for me.  Do not pity me.  Do not feel the need to console me.

I am blessed with many amazing little people in my life.  I have nieces and nephews I absolutely adore with every ounce of my being!  I have little ones I am able to giggle with, read stories with, cuddle with, listen to, watch movies with, knit for, care for and help nurture.  Often I think if I had little ones of my own, I would miss out on this.

Sometimes it feels as though my heart has too much room for just little ones of my own.  The world can be a very dangerous place for children.  I feel called to help make it safe for them.  Safe to learn, safe to ask questions, safe to simply be.

When I first started writing this post I had a different idea in mind.  I do not want anyone to pity me.  I do not want anyone to feel sorry for me.  I do not want anyone to think my life is less than what is 'could' be or 'should' be or 'will' be.  It simply is.  I am blessed.

Whether or not I have children of my own, right now, here, at this moment my life is incredibly full.  And for that, I am incredibly thankful.

Comments

  1. Belinda, what a beautiful post - thanks for sharing your heart. I love how you love little people. You have been Auntie B for a long time and it suits you perfectly. I think you're right, that the time you get to spend with little people now would be greatly reduced if you had your own little people - life has a way of working like that. You are a blessing to mamas out there, pouring out more love so that these little people walk around with their hearts overflowing. THAT is a blessing. You shine with contentedness and peace. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my sweet, sweet friends!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Safety

I should be doing homework. I have to give a presentation on Dorothy Day in class next week and she lived a large life. I also have to submit a 15-18 page paper on her. Yet I had to stop after reading just a summary of her life. She did a lot. She lived what she believed without fear. She went to prison on a few occasions for the causes she believed in. It got me thinking about my own life and where I am currently. I do not go out often anymore. People do not invite me out much. Only a few people text or call me regularly or message me on social media. Often when I have made plans over the past year or so I have changed or cancelled them for one reason or another. I can see why people do not automatically think to invite me out. (Ha ha.) Yet I also see how I got to this point in life. During Covid, I almost thrived being home a lot. A part of me was tired and the introvert in me needed time away. It was safe. Now that life has returned to a normal of sorts, maybe a new normal that is n...

Hmm...how's this for an intro?

Well here is my first blog post. I thought the title 'B S' is great considering those are my initials. No hidden meaning there either. I have no idea how often I will post on here but I hope those who read it enjoy. My life is certainly never dull. The potential for great conversation is immense. I also hope to inspire and encourage others through this... Thanks for joining me!

Pick your battles...

Apparently I have chosen yet another battle. Although can it be a battle if the other side simply dismisses you? Maybe not. I saw PETA's banned Super Bowl ad purely by chance. I was on a web site showing all the ads as I did not watch the game. When it first came on I thought it was a Victoria's Secret commercial. Then I see vegetables in the ad. It was PETA. So I sent an email. Scantily clad women performing mock sex acts with produce is not my idea of intelligent advertising. It lowers the bar. It is exploiting women. I sent them an email expressing that opinion. They disagree. It seems it is ok to demean women (at least this is my opinion) for the sake of animals. Yet I do not see that ad generating more support for the cause of animal rights. Is it controversial? Yes. Does it get people talking? Clearly. Yet it does not get people talking intelligently about the real issue - that of preventing cruelty to animals. Why don't they raise the bar in advert...