There was a time when I could not wait to be an adult. I dreamed of the days when I could stay up late, eat what I wanted and do whatever I liked. I dreamed of being free of my parents rules and chores. I wouldn't have to clean the floors the way my mum required. I would never have to make my bed with hospital corners again. (Secretly, I think that is one of the reasons I have always had a duvet only since moving out on my own.)
Little did I know at that time how much work really goes into being an adult. Maybe it was a good thing. Life can be tough at times. It can also be great. It can be wonderful. It can be fun. It can be boring.
But sometimes life kicks you. And then it kicks you when you are down. I have had a few periods like that in life. I have had some recently. I am finding that each kick seems to take a little bit longer to get up from. Not because it hurts more. All hurt equally. It takes longer because I am more determined to learn from it so it does not happen again. I am also determined to learn as much from each experience as I can.
What I have learned is I am alone in this world. I have family. I have friends. I am blessed with both. Yet when all is said and done, I can count on no one to help me but myself and my God. No, I am not preaching. I am just sharing my experience. I believe in God. I believe in a God who loves me. I also know there are many people in my life who love me deeply. I just know they all have their lives and their commitments. Many have helped in the ways they were able to. Yet I am responsible for me.
I am still learning how to navigate this current tough period. It is getting better and for that I am thankful. Yet there are still moments that are incredibly tough. So it makes me even more thankful when there are moments of joy. When there are moments that ease stress or pain or sadness, they seem brighter, more alive, more celebratory. I am thankful.
I am thankful that I continue to see change for the better. I am thankful for opportunities to keep learning. I am thankful for friends who continue to love me. Friends who continue to care about me. Friends who continue to bless me.
Life is tough...not all the time. But it will be. Make sure you have the people in your life to help carry you through those tough times. They may not be able to fix it for you. But they can show you why it is worth while for you to carry on through it. Because the day will come when the sun shines. The burden lifts. The pain eases. And you want to make sure you are fully present to enjoy every moment of it!
Little did I know at that time how much work really goes into being an adult. Maybe it was a good thing. Life can be tough at times. It can also be great. It can be wonderful. It can be fun. It can be boring.
But sometimes life kicks you. And then it kicks you when you are down. I have had a few periods like that in life. I have had some recently. I am finding that each kick seems to take a little bit longer to get up from. Not because it hurts more. All hurt equally. It takes longer because I am more determined to learn from it so it does not happen again. I am also determined to learn as much from each experience as I can.
What I have learned is I am alone in this world. I have family. I have friends. I am blessed with both. Yet when all is said and done, I can count on no one to help me but myself and my God. No, I am not preaching. I am just sharing my experience. I believe in God. I believe in a God who loves me. I also know there are many people in my life who love me deeply. I just know they all have their lives and their commitments. Many have helped in the ways they were able to. Yet I am responsible for me.
I am still learning how to navigate this current tough period. It is getting better and for that I am thankful. Yet there are still moments that are incredibly tough. So it makes me even more thankful when there are moments of joy. When there are moments that ease stress or pain or sadness, they seem brighter, more alive, more celebratory. I am thankful.
I am thankful that I continue to see change for the better. I am thankful for opportunities to keep learning. I am thankful for friends who continue to love me. Friends who continue to care about me. Friends who continue to bless me.
Life is tough...not all the time. But it will be. Make sure you have the people in your life to help carry you through those tough times. They may not be able to fix it for you. But they can show you why it is worth while for you to carry on through it. Because the day will come when the sun shines. The burden lifts. The pain eases. And you want to make sure you are fully present to enjoy every moment of it!
Comments
Post a Comment