Skip to main content

Inspiration

I had the privilege this evening to attend a dinner celebrating the work of someone who did so much for others. I had never heard of this woman before tonight. After hearing her speak, I will never forget her.

To look at her you would see an attractive, modest woman. Listening to her, you would be amazed at how simply she communicated a powerful message. That message inspired me. It greatly inspired me.

Honestly I'm not even sure of all the things she has accomplished. What I do know is she learned early on to look at people as they are and truly see them. When she truly saw others as they are, regardless of age, religion, ethnicity, then she truly cared about helping them be their best. Even as she stood there and spoke, she had such gracious words for so many people who inspired and supported her along the way.

Education was the best way she could help them reach their full potential.

Education is a powerful thing. It is even more so when we look outside our typical box of what education looks like. It is not always a degree (yes, I have two but there is SO much more to learning than that). It is not always a high paying job as a result. It is not a lot of recognition. It is not impressing others with big words or long answers. It is never about making others feel less than you.

It is all the opposite. Well education may lead to degrees, a high paying job and the opportunity to use large words and provide long answers. It may even lead to recognition. Yet education is never just about us.

 All through my studies I had a tremendous sense of honour to be learning at higher levels and even more so responsibility. I felt I had a responsibility to use what I learned to help others who might not have a chance to study as I did. In college, and later seminary, I felt the need to learn as much as I could and as diligently as I could so it would benefit others. What I learned was not just for me. It was for as many others as I could share it with.

And then I stopped. I stopped learning. Life came along and changed. It shifted. A mortgage. A car payment. Unemployment (yes, after buying the house). Graduating and losing my biggest cheerleader, my advisor in Seminary. Well we keep in touch and he is my 'friend' on Facebook. But I lost the luxury of being able to meet with him. He is a wise, caring man who sees his students not only as they are but as they could be. (He often comments on my blog posts and I hope he reads this one too and sees even slightly how much he has influenced me, inspired me and encouraged me when few others did.)

I had to 'retreat' a bit from life to recover from some of the things that really knocked me down. Yet there is always learning. Because there are some things all the books in the world cannot teach. Life. It happens. Sometimes it is good. Sometimes great. Sometimes hard. Sometimes wearing. Sometimes it takes everything in us just to get through the day.

I was reminded of my desire to share my learning with others. I want to inspire others to learn along their own journeys.

Through it all we should never stop learning though because when we are learning, we are truly living.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety

I should be doing homework. I have to give a presentation on Dorothy Day in class next week and she lived a large life. I also have to submit a 15-18 page paper on her. Yet I had to stop after reading just a summary of her life. She did a lot. She lived what she believed without fear. She went to prison on a few occasions for the causes she believed in. It got me thinking about my own life and where I am currently. I do not go out often anymore. People do not invite me out much. Only a few people text or call me regularly or message me on social media. Often when I have made plans over the past year or so I have changed or cancelled them for one reason or another. I can see why people do not automatically think to invite me out. (Ha ha.) Yet I also see how I got to this point in life. During Covid, I almost thrived being home a lot. A part of me was tired and the introvert in me needed time away. It was safe. Now that life has returned to a normal of sorts, maybe a new normal that is n...

Hmm...how's this for an intro?

Well here is my first blog post. I thought the title 'B S' is great considering those are my initials. No hidden meaning there either. I have no idea how often I will post on here but I hope those who read it enjoy. My life is certainly never dull. The potential for great conversation is immense. I also hope to inspire and encourage others through this... Thanks for joining me!

Pick your battles...

Apparently I have chosen yet another battle. Although can it be a battle if the other side simply dismisses you? Maybe not. I saw PETA's banned Super Bowl ad purely by chance. I was on a web site showing all the ads as I did not watch the game. When it first came on I thought it was a Victoria's Secret commercial. Then I see vegetables in the ad. It was PETA. So I sent an email. Scantily clad women performing mock sex acts with produce is not my idea of intelligent advertising. It lowers the bar. It is exploiting women. I sent them an email expressing that opinion. They disagree. It seems it is ok to demean women (at least this is my opinion) for the sake of animals. Yet I do not see that ad generating more support for the cause of animal rights. Is it controversial? Yes. Does it get people talking? Clearly. Yet it does not get people talking intelligently about the real issue - that of preventing cruelty to animals. Why don't they raise the bar in advert...