Who are you? It is a simple question with a complex answer. Usually people will answer the question by saying what they do. That question got me thinking about how we define ourselves.
At the moment I am mostly unemployed. I have a consulting contract I am happily working on and have little side jobs here and there that come up. But most days I am looking for jobs to apply for or working on some volunteer things I am involved in. Yet I can honestly say I am more content than I have ever been in my life.
This life change got me thinking though. Who am I? How do I define myself? Thinking deeper, how do others define themselves? As a society, how do we determine worth of ourselves and others? What about those who are unemployed? Homeless? Those in the service industry? Those in upper management? Have we bought into the myth that value as people is determined by the work we do or title we have?
My days have changed. My schedule has changed. Who I am or what I'm worth has not. Just as I believe it does not change the value or worth of those who have more or less than I do.
The reality is life can change for any of us at any given moment. We really have no idea what will happen next for us. If we put our trust or security in something that can so easily change, we will find ourselves being tossed in the waves of the storm.
I have always tried to invest in things that will last. Friendship. Community. Family. Now, as I have dealt with another change, I find myself enjoying a tremendous freedom instead of worry. I am also finding the investment into friendships is paying some amazing dividends at the moment. The potential for opportunities seems almost endless. There have been a few ideas percolating in my mind for years and now seems to be a good time to try to make them a reality.
When we find our worth and value simply in our being, it can change how we see ourselves and the world around us.
Now let me ask, who are you?
At the moment I am mostly unemployed. I have a consulting contract I am happily working on and have little side jobs here and there that come up. But most days I am looking for jobs to apply for or working on some volunteer things I am involved in. Yet I can honestly say I am more content than I have ever been in my life.
This life change got me thinking though. Who am I? How do I define myself? Thinking deeper, how do others define themselves? As a society, how do we determine worth of ourselves and others? What about those who are unemployed? Homeless? Those in the service industry? Those in upper management? Have we bought into the myth that value as people is determined by the work we do or title we have?
My days have changed. My schedule has changed. Who I am or what I'm worth has not. Just as I believe it does not change the value or worth of those who have more or less than I do.
The reality is life can change for any of us at any given moment. We really have no idea what will happen next for us. If we put our trust or security in something that can so easily change, we will find ourselves being tossed in the waves of the storm.
I have always tried to invest in things that will last. Friendship. Community. Family. Now, as I have dealt with another change, I find myself enjoying a tremendous freedom instead of worry. I am also finding the investment into friendships is paying some amazing dividends at the moment. The potential for opportunities seems almost endless. There have been a few ideas percolating in my mind for years and now seems to be a good time to try to make them a reality.
When we find our worth and value simply in our being, it can change how we see ourselves and the world around us.
Now let me ask, who are you?
Comments
Post a Comment