Skip to main content

How To Define Success

As my life ebbs and flows, changing constantly, I have been thinking about success. It is something we are taught to strive for. We should be successful in our jobs, as parents, as volunteers, as children, and in any role we assume.

I have had many conversations with friends lately about saying 'no' more. The two are related, believe it or not. It all comes down to how we define success. Are we defining it ourselves or allowing others to tell us what it means and how it looks?

For too long, maybe, many of us have allowed the society we live in to define success. We should have a house, a car (at least one), be married, have children (who are well behaved and excelling in everything), have lots of education, holidays to sunny places, have all the latest gadgets, and the list goes on.

This constant striving has left many I know worn out and disappointed with life. Some are taking steps to change that. Learning to define success for ourselves is an important first step to regaining some balance in life. For myself, I know I will never be a parent. Ok, I'm fairly certain I will never be. I am fine with that. I no longer allow my success as a woman to be defined by this one thing.

Some of my friends have learned to define success by saying no to things that are not valued to them. We are all asked to volunteer and help with various things. Some of us constantly. Some of us are also constantly thinking of things we can do to help those around us. For myself, I like to help solve problems. If you have a problem, I want to help find a solution.

Yet none of us are designed to do everything. We are meant to do a few things well. If we try to do everything it will simply end in failure or our exhaustion.

I believe we are truly successful when we do what we are meant to do and nothing else. We know ourselves what that might be. We also know what it is not meant to be. We need to give ourselves permission to redefine success, say no to things we can not do to our best ability, and possibly do a bit less.

When we stop letting a society tell us what makes us successful and instead define it ourselves, we find freedom and more success than before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety

I should be doing homework. I have to give a presentation on Dorothy Day in class next week and she lived a large life. I also have to submit a 15-18 page paper on her. Yet I had to stop after reading just a summary of her life. She did a lot. She lived what she believed without fear. She went to prison on a few occasions for the causes she believed in. It got me thinking about my own life and where I am currently. I do not go out often anymore. People do not invite me out much. Only a few people text or call me regularly or message me on social media. Often when I have made plans over the past year or so I have changed or cancelled them for one reason or another. I can see why people do not automatically think to invite me out. (Ha ha.) Yet I also see how I got to this point in life. During Covid, I almost thrived being home a lot. A part of me was tired and the introvert in me needed time away. It was safe. Now that life has returned to a normal of sorts, maybe a new normal that is n...

Hmm...how's this for an intro?

Well here is my first blog post. I thought the title 'B S' is great considering those are my initials. No hidden meaning there either. I have no idea how often I will post on here but I hope those who read it enjoy. My life is certainly never dull. The potential for great conversation is immense. I also hope to inspire and encourage others through this... Thanks for joining me!

Pick your battles...

Apparently I have chosen yet another battle. Although can it be a battle if the other side simply dismisses you? Maybe not. I saw PETA's banned Super Bowl ad purely by chance. I was on a web site showing all the ads as I did not watch the game. When it first came on I thought it was a Victoria's Secret commercial. Then I see vegetables in the ad. It was PETA. So I sent an email. Scantily clad women performing mock sex acts with produce is not my idea of intelligent advertising. It lowers the bar. It is exploiting women. I sent them an email expressing that opinion. They disagree. It seems it is ok to demean women (at least this is my opinion) for the sake of animals. Yet I do not see that ad generating more support for the cause of animal rights. Is it controversial? Yes. Does it get people talking? Clearly. Yet it does not get people talking intelligently about the real issue - that of preventing cruelty to animals. Why don't they raise the bar in advert...