Skip to main content

Labels

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure if I have written about this before. I looked through the titles of past blog posts. I am feeling a bit too tired to read through them all though. So here I write anyway...

I have been thinking a lot about the labels we apply to ourselves and others. We like to identify people, then define them by the labels we have created. Some labels are created by society in general. Male, female, liberal, conservative, religious, agnostic, atheist, ugly, beautiful, right, left, and the list could go on.

After we learn labels, we each create our own version of what each means. Then we apply them to those around us. Maybe we even choose people we surround ourselves with based on the labels we like the best. Some exclude people with labels applied that are opposite and/or disliked.

Some labels are clear, others are subtle. Yet they are always there. As someone who has been labelled (sometimes incorrectly) I can say from experience, much is lost when we see the label instead of the person.

My life has taken me through many different situations and circumstances. I have been in some work environments, political circles, religious institutions and other clearly labelled places and have noticed in each case, there was often a small group of people who defined me not by who I am but how they understand me to be based on their definitions.

In Ireland I worked with families who were all Catholic. I am not. Yet I never wanted to be defined by my neighbours by what we disagreed on. I wanted to let them tell me who they were. I wanted to get to know them and let them get to know me, without labels. I was not there to say what was right and wrong. I was there to help build up the inner city youth through the programming at the mission I worked at. I was interested in helping address their needs, improving literacy, assisting students with homework, and giving kids and families a fun time at summer camp.

In Bible college and seminary there were denominational labels. I couldn't care less about them when I was there. I was not tied to the denomination of the church I attended. I was there to learn. I did not simply want to be spoon fed my education. I wanted it to challenge me, stretch me, and help me grow my understanding of my own faith as well as the faiths of the world around me. Who knew then that I would work in a mosque for a few months over a decade later.

I wonder if we also attach a value to labels. When some labels are more valuable and others less, do we then allow ourselves to treat others differently? Are some worthy of less respect? Are some opinions worth more?

For years now I have been trying not to label people. I have a variety of people in my life from all walks of life. There are Christians, atheists, agnostics, socialists, men, women, heterosexuals, homosexuals, conservatives, liberals, older, younger, Canadians, Americans, Australians, and I could go on. I believe my life is richer because of the great variety. I am challenged, encouraged, educated, blessed, spurred on, lifted up, built up, refined and much more because of the many in my life.

Instead of male, female, liberal, conservative, religious, agnostic, atheist, ugly, beautiful, right, left, etc., I prefer labels like friend, colleague, mentor, family. I hope these are the labels people choose to use with me as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety

I should be doing homework. I have to give a presentation on Dorothy Day in class next week and she lived a large life. I also have to submit a 15-18 page paper on her. Yet I had to stop after reading just a summary of her life. She did a lot. She lived what she believed without fear. She went to prison on a few occasions for the causes she believed in. It got me thinking about my own life and where I am currently. I do not go out often anymore. People do not invite me out much. Only a few people text or call me regularly or message me on social media. Often when I have made plans over the past year or so I have changed or cancelled them for one reason or another. I can see why people do not automatically think to invite me out. (Ha ha.) Yet I also see how I got to this point in life. During Covid, I almost thrived being home a lot. A part of me was tired and the introvert in me needed time away. It was safe. Now that life has returned to a normal of sorts, maybe a new normal that is n...

Hmm...how's this for an intro?

Well here is my first blog post. I thought the title 'B S' is great considering those are my initials. No hidden meaning there either. I have no idea how often I will post on here but I hope those who read it enjoy. My life is certainly never dull. The potential for great conversation is immense. I also hope to inspire and encourage others through this... Thanks for joining me!

Pick your battles...

Apparently I have chosen yet another battle. Although can it be a battle if the other side simply dismisses you? Maybe not. I saw PETA's banned Super Bowl ad purely by chance. I was on a web site showing all the ads as I did not watch the game. When it first came on I thought it was a Victoria's Secret commercial. Then I see vegetables in the ad. It was PETA. So I sent an email. Scantily clad women performing mock sex acts with produce is not my idea of intelligent advertising. It lowers the bar. It is exploiting women. I sent them an email expressing that opinion. They disagree. It seems it is ok to demean women (at least this is my opinion) for the sake of animals. Yet I do not see that ad generating more support for the cause of animal rights. Is it controversial? Yes. Does it get people talking? Clearly. Yet it does not get people talking intelligently about the real issue - that of preventing cruelty to animals. Why don't they raise the bar in advert...