Well I certainly did not think creating simplicity in my life would be easy. I think my struggles to do something as simple as updating my blog are a clear indication of the fullness of my life. But what is it full of? People think I'm very busy. The reality is I am not. At least not at the moment. I have been in the not too distant past. However, I have been good at putting up healthy boundaries to maintain my health and sanity. I know how exhausted I get when I have too many things to get done in a week. My home is neglected and that is my calming space. I love my home. It needs to be cared for.
So how does one create simplicity? First, look at what fills your life. What is complicating it? Who is dictating what fills your time? Is it you? A boss? Society? Family? Expectations of friends? Maybe it is my long health history (8 surgeries and countless trips to the hospital) that have taught me to take each day as it comes. Maybe it is just a laid back nature. Maybe it is wisdom that comes with age. I may only be 38 but I have been blessed to learn a lot about life in that time. Look at what is truly important to you. Who are you? Who do you want to be? What impact do you want to have on the world around you? No one can think her life will not impact the world. Every decision we make has the potential to impact the life of others.
When you have your list of what is complicating it, compare it to the list of what is most important to you. Then, find a way to make them line up. I sometimes feel caught between two worlds. I live in the West End where I see many people living far below the poverty line. Yet I have been able to purchase my own home. I own a car (that I think is rather nice). I make enough money to be able to afford groceries each week. Yet I want my life to have an impact that makes life better for those around me.
So I work in a place that helps me do that. I help get work so people in this neighbourhood can work. In the context of that job I can also provide emotional/mental/spiritual support to people. I absolutely LOVE that! I decided I would spend less. I would not simply buy something because I could. I would do it because it was needed. I would not deprive myself necessarily, I would simply try to live a life that looks at the abundance I already have and not consider what I do not have (which is often influenced by society).
I will seek to eat less meat. There are a few reasons for this. One is, my body does not need as much meat as I consume. Another reason is to help bring to light the fact there are animals in the world who are better fed than some people. I do not want anyone to feel guilty about eating meat. I just want people to think about how much they eat. If every meat eater reduced the amount they ate, it would decrease the demand for livestock and reduce the amount of grain in the world used to feed animals. Now, I have cattle/pig farmers in my family. I am not against them doing this. I know some people who read this will be. I accept that. I understand why some people are vegetarian and vegan. I would never try to tell someone to be otherwise.
I would also like to buy more local food. Look at food crises that happen in North America. Eggs are bad and suddenly a whole nation is potentially at risk. If you buy your eggs from a local farmer, you won't have to worry about that. You might also not have to worry about any pesticides, etc. used to help make your food better. You can buy organic. You know where you food comes from and you also know it did not have to be shipped around the world. That saves on oil used. Not only could it be healthier for you, it is more environmentally friendly.
So there is my start with this. I will try not to wait a week to write my next post. There are many more ways to create simplicity. I will tie all the threads together at the end of the month too.
So how does one create simplicity? First, look at what fills your life. What is complicating it? Who is dictating what fills your time? Is it you? A boss? Society? Family? Expectations of friends? Maybe it is my long health history (8 surgeries and countless trips to the hospital) that have taught me to take each day as it comes. Maybe it is just a laid back nature. Maybe it is wisdom that comes with age. I may only be 38 but I have been blessed to learn a lot about life in that time. Look at what is truly important to you. Who are you? Who do you want to be? What impact do you want to have on the world around you? No one can think her life will not impact the world. Every decision we make has the potential to impact the life of others.
When you have your list of what is complicating it, compare it to the list of what is most important to you. Then, find a way to make them line up. I sometimes feel caught between two worlds. I live in the West End where I see many people living far below the poverty line. Yet I have been able to purchase my own home. I own a car (that I think is rather nice). I make enough money to be able to afford groceries each week. Yet I want my life to have an impact that makes life better for those around me.
So I work in a place that helps me do that. I help get work so people in this neighbourhood can work. In the context of that job I can also provide emotional/mental/spiritual support to people. I absolutely LOVE that! I decided I would spend less. I would not simply buy something because I could. I would do it because it was needed. I would not deprive myself necessarily, I would simply try to live a life that looks at the abundance I already have and not consider what I do not have (which is often influenced by society).
I will seek to eat less meat. There are a few reasons for this. One is, my body does not need as much meat as I consume. Another reason is to help bring to light the fact there are animals in the world who are better fed than some people. I do not want anyone to feel guilty about eating meat. I just want people to think about how much they eat. If every meat eater reduced the amount they ate, it would decrease the demand for livestock and reduce the amount of grain in the world used to feed animals. Now, I have cattle/pig farmers in my family. I am not against them doing this. I know some people who read this will be. I accept that. I understand why some people are vegetarian and vegan. I would never try to tell someone to be otherwise.
I would also like to buy more local food. Look at food crises that happen in North America. Eggs are bad and suddenly a whole nation is potentially at risk. If you buy your eggs from a local farmer, you won't have to worry about that. You might also not have to worry about any pesticides, etc. used to help make your food better. You can buy organic. You know where you food comes from and you also know it did not have to be shipped around the world. That saves on oil used. Not only could it be healthier for you, it is more environmentally friendly.
So there is my start with this. I will try not to wait a week to write my next post. There are many more ways to create simplicity. I will tie all the threads together at the end of the month too.
I've always wanted to take better advantage of the Byward Market here in Ottawa and buy local produce. When it starts up again in the spring I will definitely make the effort. I think a lot of people, myself included, that forget to think about the local merchants. Not only would it be healthier and more environmentally friendly, it would be supporting a local person's lively hood. Good blog!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind words! My hope is to simply encourage people to think about simple things they can do to make their lives better as well as the lives around them.
ReplyDelete