Skip to main content

Acceptance

Yesterday I had the privilege of helping a friend prepare for her 40th birthday celebration with many friends and family. I have known her for twenty years. I say it was a privilege to help her celebrate because after such a long, winding, trying, difficult in spots road, our friendship is probably deeper than ever.

I truly value my friends. Some mean as much to me as my own family. Some have been in my life for twenty years. Some for much less time than that.

I was chatting last night with one of my newest friends about acceptance. He has not yet attained the great wisdom of 40 (only a little bit of sarcasm there), but he has learned something in his early 30's that my other 40 friend and I learned a bit later. Acceptance. He has tremendous peace in his heart and mind because he has greater acceptance of himself and others. 

The discussion began when I started talking about being genuine as a person. People prefer others who are genuine instead of those trying desperately to be liked. It is much easier to be genuine when we accept ourselves as who we are. As I have mentioned in previous posts, grace and change are needed for each of us as we move forward in life. Yet right here, right now, do I accept who I am? 

How can I change if I do not sit long enough to look at where I am? First I need to understand who I am and then think about where I want to go. I also believe we need to accept who we are today as a starting point. Am I who I want to be? Yes and no. Yet just because I am not entirely the person I want to be or at a place in life where I thought I would be does not mean I cannot accept where I am right now. 

Life is always changing. It is unpredictable. It is uncertain. Maybe a little acceptance would make it a bit easier. I know I can certainly do with more acceptance of myself instead of being my own worst critic. Life is hard. Why not make it a wee bit easier with a little acceptance and the peace that follows?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety

I should be doing homework. I have to give a presentation on Dorothy Day in class next week and she lived a large life. I also have to submit a 15-18 page paper on her. Yet I had to stop after reading just a summary of her life. She did a lot. She lived what she believed without fear. She went to prison on a few occasions for the causes she believed in. It got me thinking about my own life and where I am currently. I do not go out often anymore. People do not invite me out much. Only a few people text or call me regularly or message me on social media. Often when I have made plans over the past year or so I have changed or cancelled them for one reason or another. I can see why people do not automatically think to invite me out. (Ha ha.) Yet I also see how I got to this point in life. During Covid, I almost thrived being home a lot. A part of me was tired and the introvert in me needed time away. It was safe. Now that life has returned to a normal of sorts, maybe a new normal that is n...

Hmm...how's this for an intro?

Well here is my first blog post. I thought the title 'B S' is great considering those are my initials. No hidden meaning there either. I have no idea how often I will post on here but I hope those who read it enjoy. My life is certainly never dull. The potential for great conversation is immense. I also hope to inspire and encourage others through this... Thanks for joining me!

Pick your battles...

Apparently I have chosen yet another battle. Although can it be a battle if the other side simply dismisses you? Maybe not. I saw PETA's banned Super Bowl ad purely by chance. I was on a web site showing all the ads as I did not watch the game. When it first came on I thought it was a Victoria's Secret commercial. Then I see vegetables in the ad. It was PETA. So I sent an email. Scantily clad women performing mock sex acts with produce is not my idea of intelligent advertising. It lowers the bar. It is exploiting women. I sent them an email expressing that opinion. They disagree. It seems it is ok to demean women (at least this is my opinion) for the sake of animals. Yet I do not see that ad generating more support for the cause of animal rights. Is it controversial? Yes. Does it get people talking? Clearly. Yet it does not get people talking intelligently about the real issue - that of preventing cruelty to animals. Why don't they raise the bar in advert...