Today we had a special dinner at the Ellice Cafe. We treated some of our special customers to a turkey dinner. It went really well!! I am blessed to serve some of the best people in the city. Over many years of living and working in inner cities (both here and in Dublin) I have learned that beggers can be choosers. Most of these people today do not beg. Some do. Yet every single person was thankful for everything we offered. Not one person had any sort of complaint. They were blessed and so was I. As tired as I am I am also refreshed. I also had a wonderful group of volunteers.
One of the volunteers is also an employee at the Cafe. I offered to give her a lift home as it can be difficult to get a bus to where she was going late on a Sunday. We were walking to my car, between two buildings, when a young guy ran past us. I thought he must be running from something. I may be a 'square white woman' from a middle class background but I have lived long enough to know guys in hoodies and jeans don't typically go for evening runs for their health in the West End. As we walked behind the building to my car, a police car stopped near us and simply asked 'Where did he go?'. We pointed in the direction and they were off.
I drove Kate home and went down Wellington through Assiniboine Park. It is like a completely different world there. You certainly don't have kids running with guns through there. But I still love where I live. Where else can you go from blessing and being blessed to witnessing a possible criminal running from a crime?
One of the volunteers is also an employee at the Cafe. I offered to give her a lift home as it can be difficult to get a bus to where she was going late on a Sunday. We were walking to my car, between two buildings, when a young guy ran past us. I thought he must be running from something. I may be a 'square white woman' from a middle class background but I have lived long enough to know guys in hoodies and jeans don't typically go for evening runs for their health in the West End. As we walked behind the building to my car, a police car stopped near us and simply asked 'Where did he go?'. We pointed in the direction and they were off.
I drove Kate home and went down Wellington through Assiniboine Park. It is like a completely different world there. You certainly don't have kids running with guns through there. But I still love where I live. Where else can you go from blessing and being blessed to witnessing a possible criminal running from a crime?
Comments
Post a Comment