I have been Aunty B officially for 18 years. I have unofficially been Aunty B a bit longer than that. I have 5 nieces and nephews. I have countless other children in my life that I love, invest in and spend time with. I think about them all often even if I haven't seen them in a long time.
Being Aunty B is very important to me. It might be one of the most amazing and enjoyable things I do in my life. I am not amazing. What is amazing, is the opportunity to build relationships with little people to help them become great big people.
My oldest niece just turned 18. She graduated and is now heading off to Calgary to work and live. While my Aunty B heart is sad that she is leaving, it is also incredibly excited for her. I have always been a bit different from my siblings in the sense that I travelled a lot. I lived overseas for a few years and always look at life as an adventure.
Seeing my oldest niece start to learn that on her own makes me very proud. She is a rather fantastic young woman regardless. I love her to bits and can honestly say we have a great relationship. At a family get together yesterday her and I laughed a lot, simply because. She is smart, beautiful, courageous and kind.
I know she will do well. I jokingly bet her $20 that when she comes back for a visit at Christmas it will be to stay. I don't really think she will. I have every confidence in her. I also think it will be great for her to learn on her own.
I will also be reminding her that success is not always defined by other people when it comes to how we live our lives. It is in the doing, it is in the intent, it is in the lessons learned. Some learn by doing. Some learn by reading. Some learn by observing. Some learn by all of the above. And when we learn, we grow.
Hopefully we grow into better people, more honest and caring. Hopefully we become more compassionate towards others. Hopefully we realise life isn't just about us.
Now I will have to plan a trip to Calgary sooner rather than later.
Being Aunty B is very important to me. It might be one of the most amazing and enjoyable things I do in my life. I am not amazing. What is amazing, is the opportunity to build relationships with little people to help them become great big people.
My oldest niece just turned 18. She graduated and is now heading off to Calgary to work and live. While my Aunty B heart is sad that she is leaving, it is also incredibly excited for her. I have always been a bit different from my siblings in the sense that I travelled a lot. I lived overseas for a few years and always look at life as an adventure.
Seeing my oldest niece start to learn that on her own makes me very proud. She is a rather fantastic young woman regardless. I love her to bits and can honestly say we have a great relationship. At a family get together yesterday her and I laughed a lot, simply because. She is smart, beautiful, courageous and kind.
I know she will do well. I jokingly bet her $20 that when she comes back for a visit at Christmas it will be to stay. I don't really think she will. I have every confidence in her. I also think it will be great for her to learn on her own.
I will also be reminding her that success is not always defined by other people when it comes to how we live our lives. It is in the doing, it is in the intent, it is in the lessons learned. Some learn by doing. Some learn by reading. Some learn by observing. Some learn by all of the above. And when we learn, we grow.
Hopefully we grow into better people, more honest and caring. Hopefully we become more compassionate towards others. Hopefully we realise life isn't just about us.
Now I will have to plan a trip to Calgary sooner rather than later.
Comments
Post a Comment