I have an older brother. He is 16 months older than I am. That is important because it means there are four months of the year when we can say he is two years older than I am. He is also adopted. (I am too, for those who might not have read previous posts.) When we were little I can remember waiting by the front door for him to come home from kindergarten. He was my best friend. He has always had an amazing ability to make me laugh uncontrollably.
We also used to look alike. He had auburn hair and I had very red hair. Now, my hair is lighter and his is darker. If you come into my house you will quickly see four photo frames on the wall. Each frame has four photos each. In those frames are photos of my brother, sister and I. I chose each photo to display some of the happiest moments of my childhood. Those happy moments included both of my siblings.
My sister is four years younger than I am. She is not adopted. That does not mean anything negative. It just means she is much younger than my brother and I. Frankly, Justin (my brother) and I loved having a little sister around. We were also typical older siblings She still loves us!
As we grew older, we each chose very different paths. My sister is married with children. My brother worked in the family business along with my sister and dad. I went on to further education and travel. Yet we always remained a close family.
It does not seem to matter what has happened in life, my brother is still incredibly important to me. So is my sister but it is not her birthday today. : ) For my brother on his birthday, I can say he is one of the most important people in my life. He knows me. He accepts me. He loves me. He also knows when I'm upset with him and how to deal with that. He also sees my love for him. He knows I will always be there for him, just as he is for me.
So today I celebrate my brother. He is a bit of a hero to me. If I ever find myself in difficulty, I know I will be able to count on him. Knowing I have someone 'in my corner' is an incredibly comforting feeling. Unfortunately I also learned he may be the reason I'm still single. Yes, he is older and bigger than I am. But he won't seriously hurt anyone for dating me.
There is something about knowing how far he would go to protect or defend me that leaves me speechless.
We also used to look alike. He had auburn hair and I had very red hair. Now, my hair is lighter and his is darker. If you come into my house you will quickly see four photo frames on the wall. Each frame has four photos each. In those frames are photos of my brother, sister and I. I chose each photo to display some of the happiest moments of my childhood. Those happy moments included both of my siblings.
My sister is four years younger than I am. She is not adopted. That does not mean anything negative. It just means she is much younger than my brother and I. Frankly, Justin (my brother) and I loved having a little sister around. We were also typical older siblings She still loves us!
As we grew older, we each chose very different paths. My sister is married with children. My brother worked in the family business along with my sister and dad. I went on to further education and travel. Yet we always remained a close family.
It does not seem to matter what has happened in life, my brother is still incredibly important to me. So is my sister but it is not her birthday today. : ) For my brother on his birthday, I can say he is one of the most important people in my life. He knows me. He accepts me. He loves me. He also knows when I'm upset with him and how to deal with that. He also sees my love for him. He knows I will always be there for him, just as he is for me.
So today I celebrate my brother. He is a bit of a hero to me. If I ever find myself in difficulty, I know I will be able to count on him. Knowing I have someone 'in my corner' is an incredibly comforting feeling. Unfortunately I also learned he may be the reason I'm still single. Yes, he is older and bigger than I am. But he won't seriously hurt anyone for dating me.
There is something about knowing how far he would go to protect or defend me that leaves me speechless.
Beautiful.
ReplyDelete